Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Be prepared.



The day will come when your kids all of a sudden become 'older'.  Here, on this eve of Jordan's twelfth birthday, the heart of the matter of what has been really bothering me lately has revealed itself.  Jordan is at the age where he should be the one to resolve his own interpersonal issues, (long, dramatic pause) and I am having a hard time of letting go of my former role in this.  He is also of the age where other adults and, more importantly - peers, will have influence on his decision-making.  I am having difficulty in accepting this as well.
 
 
For parents of public schooled kids, it comes with the territory.  You have become accustomed to your child being away from your direct influence for a good part of the day.  (there is no judgement here, just simple observation).

For parents of homeschooled children, you get so used to calling the shots that when another adult steps in or a peer exhorts an extraordinary amount of influence, it can be difficult to take...even alarming at times. 

I am not prepared.  Not in the least.  But I better get used to it.  Even embrace it.  Because the day is here.

No comments: