Monday, May 13, 2013

Lucky...

I am one lucky mom, wife and daughter. This was my 7th Mother's Day, and it just keeps getting better every year. I have few requests when it comes to celebrating Mother's Day. There are just a couple of must-haves: breakfast in bed (along with long stretches of quiet time) and handmade cards from the kids. My husband achieved this with flying colors again this year. Jordan fried bacon and helped Dean with the dishes, and Rylan and Owen flipped pancakes. Dean brought up a venti mocha from Starbucks, Jordan delivered granola with fruit a little while later, and then a while after that he brought up a fully loaded breakfast tray with juice, bacon and pancakes. I was stuffed! The kids each made a card - all sweet and endearing in their own way.

Worthy of special mention this year was the fact that Owen wrote on his card. He printed 'mouse' on the front - complete with a drawing of one on the front of the card...

 


And a message on the inside...

 

This is extra-special because this is the first handwriting sample of his that I have. His very first writing sample was made on Thursday, when he signed his name on the inside of the Mother's Day card that the kids sent off to their grandma in OKC. Up to this point, all I have been able to encourage him to write was the letter 'f' in his Explode the Code workbook, a couple of weeks ago. Owen is five years and four months, and he is the kid that has previously avoided anything that involved drawing, coloring or writing. It took serious arm-twisting to get even a little drawing as a 'signature' in other cards and so forth... So this is huge - and I have my husband and his idea to use Bananagrams to thank.

We had an awesome day, and it was even better since I got to celebrate both Mother's Day and Rylan's 7th birthday on the same day. Happy (belated) Mother's Day to every mom, caretaker and mentor out there. It is a hard job, but oh so rewarding...

 

No comments: