Thursday, May 16, 2013

Earning my 'mom' stripes

This week is putting me through my paces...  May is our busiest month of the year.  So 'things' many come to an arbitrary 'end' in May - and even though we homeschool, we get overruled by the conventional school calendar some times.  Recitals, testing, well-checks and summer visitation seem to rule this month, no matter how hard I try to stave it off...
The week before last meant well-checks for Owen and Colin (both healthy, although Owen sent up red flags during his hearing test.  I think he was just not paying attention...), the dentist for all kids (Rylan had two baby teeth pulled) - with no cavities - extending our streak to 2 1/2 years - yay us!!  I had a nerve study done (carpal tunnel in the right arm, but no impingement in the brachial plexus), a violin recital, a super-fun MNO, a birthday party to attend for Rylan, and a camping trip for Dean and Jordan.
Last week was birthday week.  No appointments, but no less crazy.  I will write about it soon.  After I recover from this week.
This week is the marathon week.  Monday was violin lesson followed by an appointment for me to see the orthopaedic surgeon (more about that in a different post) and Jordan skipped his scout meeting so that he could do his make-up belt testing instead.  Belt promotions is really this Saturday, but Jordan will be camping, so we had to do it this way.  Tuesday was awful.  Jordan began the day with academic testing.  He spent a little over three hours taking his math and reading MAP tests.  He did very well, but since it went way longer than I planned on, we had to break up the testing and added an additional testing day (tomorrow) to finish up.  I just couldn't ask him to do another hour, hour 1/2 when he was already mentally tired.  We spent the afternoon of Tuesday racing around to different appointments.  Jordan had his camp physical well-check, followed by a tune-up at the orthodontist, and then karate rounded out the day.  Yesterday was a little more sane - just an eye appointment for Owen.  Today was fun, followed by no fun.  We spent a lovely morning at a small farm north of town, milking goats, chasing chickens and riding horses with the daisy scouts.  When I could finally drag the kids to the car, we dashed home, scarfed down lunch and got Jordan to his ped. psychiatrist for a periodic med check, followed by the dermatologist for a periodic check on his incredibly persistent and aggravating warts that are on his hands. 
I don't think I did anybody any favors by stacking up the week like this, but sometimes it just has to be done.  Jordan leaves for a three-week stay in OKC on Monday.  And then he comes home and goes straight to boy scout summer camp, and then he goes back to OKC for another three weeks.  It takes a lot of forethought to make sure we cover our bases before we send him forth.. meds in hand, forms signed.. it is a real headache sometimes to manage the multiple facets of his healthcare, but I would rather send him prepared than leave to chance.
One more day to go... then I can breathe just a little bit...

No comments: