Saturday, August 25, 2012

Mobile me....

The stars were aligned for this recent birthday, in the gifts department:

* a most generous husband
* the good fortune of a well-timed bonus at work
* it satisfied both the wish for caffeine AND techno-gadgetry!

I became the proud owner of an iPad, and co-owner of an espresso machine! I have to share the espresso machine with my husband because our birthdays are 20 days apart, so it really was a gift "to us".   (Although he picked it out and ordered it as a surprise,  using our combined birthday $$$ from his folks - thanks Pat and Van!)  I've been practicing using it over the past week (after getting over my fear of using the loudly-hissing steam thingy), and I think I'm getting the hang of it.  If anything, I'm just padding my ever-growing resume...



'BARISTA'
(yeah, I totally did not make that...but it's pretty tho', isn't it?)


Dean arrived home with my new iPad on Wednesday night, so I've spent a couple days getting acquainted with it.  I haven't synced it with iTunes yet - I'll tackle that item today.  You see... I have no idea how to do that.  (shhhhhh!)  Every time I've attempted to use iTunes, I've failed.  It is NOT intuitive, dammit!  It's the whole computer data overwriting the iPod/iPhone data thing.  My contacts are an absolute mess.  I don't even know where my mother lives.  I can drive there, I just can't *tell you* her street address.  Pathetic, I know.

It wasn't until this very moment that I realized how much I've missed my laptop.  No, that wasn't a slam on the iPad - I certainly don't miss the hefty weight or the hot underside of a laptop... I've missed the freedom of portability!  It is a rare moment for me, when sitting in front of the computer, for the true and genuine thoughts to come tumbling out.  It's typically noisy, and a messy desk isn't exactly inspiring.  The best stuff.. the raw, uncensored stuff, usually crosses my mind when we are on the go.  A good turn of a phrase, a candid observation... So many of these gems have been lost to me because I had no way to write or remember, other than an occasional snippet entered into the Notes app on the iPhone.  Pen and paper you say?  pppfft.





No comments: