Thursday, May 17, 2012

There's a badge for that...



Last night I attended a meeting for volunteer Unit Leaders at our area's Girl Scout day camp that is scheduled to start in about three weeks.  It was already at the end of a long, long day, and even though I had a coffee to pull me through, I was thoroughly irritated after spending just five minutes in this room of chatty ladies, waiting for the meeting to start.  Then my angst hit a new level when a 40-something Brownie-wanna-be sat next to me.  She was even dressed in brown and green.  Tacky.  She had a shoulder bag with her.  This bag was not just any bag, thankyouverymuch.  It was a patch-hoarders dream!!  And all of the near-by ladies hovered over her (I even had to scoot back so some other ladies could lean over), squealing with delight over her bragfest collection.  This lady even put Isabella, an extremely prodigious Fireside Girl, to shame.  There were so many patches that there was nary a spot of plain fabric to be seen.  There were even special patches from a unit in California.  Special.  Don't confuse my sarcasm with jealousy.  Nope.  It's just pure, unadulterated annoyance at anyone who feels like they need to advertise their scouting achievements to such a heightened degree, of... gaudiness?  embroidery overkill?  Is she really that in need of recognition?  Isn't scouts for (ahem) the girls?

I guess I am just annoyed with all things patches, record-keeping, scheduling, planning, and just Girl Scouting in general. 

Can you tell?

No comments: