Sunday, July 10, 2011

Simple Woman's Daybook



I have wanted to do this for over two years... what took me so long?

I am thinking...  that I follow way to many blogs.  My husband would agree.

I am thankful... that my good-natured husband allows me the time to write on weekend mornings.

From the Learning Rooms... well... technically we are in the midst of a five-week session of school.  But.  Too many activities have held the ability to get work done at bay.  The best we have been able to accomplish is getting in some reading time, and workbooks during swim lessons.  When swimming lessons are over in four more weeks, we can get back to our regularly scheduled program.  :)

In the kitchen...I have a turkey defrosting in the fridge.  Well, um... it was officially defrosted about five days ago.  Now it is sitting in a puddle of bloody water - I forgot to put it on a pan.  Thankfully the shelf is lipped, so it hasn't spilled anywhere else in the fridge.  I have been watching roasting turkey episodes of America's Test Kitchen on the DVR to learn how to cook a turkey.  They recommend placing pieces of salt pork over the back, to baste the chicken with flavor and fat during the cooking time.  Great.  But no grocery store around here sells salt pork.  So there it sits.  Do I dare cook it?  I am going to take it out of the fridge, after I am done writing, to look at it, and more importantly, smell it.  If it is off, out it goes.  It won't be a financial loss, my dad gave us 4 frozen ones around Christmas time, when the charity he and my step mom were volunteering for had way too many donated turkeys...  I just happened to have freezer space, and the wild-n-crazy idea that maybe it was high time I learn how to cook a turkey.  We'll see.

I am wearing...rumpled shorts and t-shirt.  And a messy pony tail.  And bright pink nail polish on my toes.  Colin likes the polish... he keeps touching my toenails.

I am creating...a to-do list for me today because I can't seem to focus on any one item.  There is too much to do!!

I am going...nowhere today.  Nice to have a day where we have no particular place to be or an errand to run.  The boys however are going to see the movie Cars 2 later today.  Rylan and I went yesterday - it was wonderful!!

I am wondering...how on earth I am going to complete this to-do list.  Also - how long turkey can stay defrosted in a fridge and still be safe to cook.  I think I will google it......I'm back.  Butterball says four days after it is defrosted.  It also said defrost it in a tray.  Geesh.

I am reading...Watermelon by Marian Keyes.  Super book.

I am hoping... that I don't have to come up with plan B for dinner tonight.

I am looking forward to... bookclub on Thursday night, and seeing Kenny Wayne Shepard in concert Saturday night.  Date night!

I am hearing... Dean using the compound mitre saw to cut lengths of pipe for our new drainage system.  I am hearing Owen using his tractor in the dirt pile that Dean excavated from the drainage 'ditch'.  Rylan and Colin are also playing with cars.  Jordan is providing sound effects.  Now they are arguing.  Typical.

Around the house...Dean is working on the new drainage system.  We have had an on-going issue with draining the water that comes from the downspouts on the back side of the house away from the foundation.  I am running a load of laundry.  I will also be disinfecting the entire fridge.

I am pondering...what the next-door-neighbors must think of the constant bickering that emanates from our backyard.

One of my favorite things...is the fresh-laundry smell that comes from our dryer vent by the back door (that is currently open and a breeze is blowing)

A few plans for the rest of the week...session three of swim lessons begins tomorrow, although I have no idea what time.  They are supposed to call and verify the time.  Both Rylan and Owen will be partaking.  Jordan has scouts tomorrow and a cooking class on Wednesday afternoon - snacks and drinks.  Jordan also has a swim meet scheduled for Wednesday morning, and another on Friday morning.  I am already tired.

Here is a picture for thought I am sharing...


Excavating can be tricky business...
To read more entries and visit a variety of other blogs, go here...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the turkey! I'm still too chicken to try one. I know I probably should though. Could you put strips of bacon on it instead of the salt pork? Seems like that would work.

Kirsten said...

Oh my goodness - I opened up the plastic packaging around the turkey and I was nearly laid flat on the floor by the smell! If you have ever had raw chicken go bad, you know what I mean.

Oh well, I still have three more waiting in the wings, but I think I had better procure the salt pork BEFORE I defrost the next turkey.

You had asked about using bacon instead. The problem with bacon is that it is smoke-cured, so it will make the turkey taste smokey as well, which isn't a good thing.

If you haven't seen it before, America's Test Kitchen and Cook's Country is an awesome resource for learning about different cooking methods and why they work, and to get some fool-proof recipies. The shows run on PBS and you can also find them online. Good luck whenever you give it a try! I wan't to get at least one attempt under my belt before the next holiday season comes by.

Unknown said...

I am a MASTER turkey cooker so I will give you my piece of sage advice. lol Take out the neck and giblet bag (don't gag when you see the neck, I nearly did) then put the sucker breast side down (this is important) in one of those throw away foil baking trays (so much easier for clean up) then put an entire stick of butter up it's backside. That's it, cook it according to directions but with foil over it the whole time. It doesn't look pretty when its done but it will taste completely awesome.

Kirsten said...

Christy!! I *love* the 'butter up the backside' comment! What a visual!! I promise I will try that tip the next time I try this.