Saturday, May 26, 2012

The house of stash and dash

Our household has taken a real beating in the past several months.  We had an awesome start to the year, and then February hit... two birthdays, a short visit from the inlaws and the customary seasonal emotional downward spiral on my part.  March was busy, April... well you all know how I feel about April.  May was (is) just insane.  My first free day was - today!

I haven't had anyone over to my house since March, and the house shows it.  We have been in survival mode with laundry, dishes, and shopping for weeks now.  You need to excavate the kitchen counters in order to find what you are looking for.  Remnants from the Girl Scout tea party are on top, followed by a camping trip, canning supplies, then Mother's Day and planting the garden day, then Rylan's and Jordan's birthdays, paperwork from 5 different Dr. appts, and about six different projects in various stages of completion.  Just dig through the layers and you will find what you are looking for.  Unless you are my husband or 12 year old son - then you will require my help.  :)

So on my first free day in ages, I cleaned out the family closet and did four loads of laundry, two loads of dishes and watched 3 episodes of America's Heartland (PBS), 3 episodes of Phineas and Ferb, and an entire afternoon of HGTV.  Then I helped Dean clean out the garage, adjusted three bikes to fit the growing kids, and unloaded a ton of lumber from the car.  Dean is building a three-compartment compost bin tomorrow.

Heaven.  Minus the work part.

The house of stash and dash has worn me down more than I realized.  A lot of yelling happens when you stash stuff and can't find it when you need it.  A lot of yelling happens when you have to dash out the door for the umpteenth time in one day.

I am looking forward to pulling this house back together in the coming weeks.

I'm off to shine my sink....

No comments: