Sunday, October 16, 2011

Muffin Tin Monday on a Sunday


This was my sad attempt at a Muffin Tin last Monday.  My heart just wasn't in it...  The Dirt-in-a-cup took every ounce of creative juice I had (that's a stretch), so I visited the Family Fun website for inspiration.  I was looking for something other than a dessert.  I had virtually no food in the fridge, despite visiting the grocery store four times over the weekend.  It was a miracle that I had potatoes and cream cheese on hand, so this is what I could dish out on the fly...

Left-over chili from dinner last Sunday night, with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.  I LOVE chili.  The little kids do not.  Today they had to suffer.  Because it was all I had.  I sliced the smallish-sized Yukon Gold potatoes in half, brushed them with olive oil, sprinkled with Mrs. Dash and baked them at 350 F for 25 min.  They looked good and smelled good.  I let them cool for about 10-15 min., spread some cream cheese on them and then went out the garden to pick some chives.  Arranging them into two eyes and a mouth was a major pain-in-the-ass.  But they looked nice!  They didn't taste nice though.  I forgot to check to see if the potatoes were done.  They were still crunchy.  I H-A-T-E crunchy potatoes.  Yuck.  They only nibbled and so did I.  I had some lovely, old, dried out baby carrots in the bottom of the produce drawer.    The only winner here was the caramel apples.  I haven't had these since I was a kid myself - and you still make them the same way!  For Rylan's and Owen's apple, I cored it and then covered it in the caramel sheet (no stick).  I cut it in half after I pulled it from the oven.  A whole one would have been too much.  I gave Colin some plain apple slices because you never ever ever ever give a toddler caramel.  Unless you are prepared for some intense scrubbing.  Of every surface in your house.  Owen did marginally well with this lunch.  Rylan ate the caramel off of her apple.  And maybe one bean out of her chili.

The sad thing is that they didn't even recognize that the potatoes were ghosts.   Fail.

No comments: